Solving real-world policy challenges requires the use of multi-disciplinary tools to analyze problems, determine the best means to deal with those problems, and decide on the best course of action. An undergraduate Major in Public Policy provides a unique opportunity for students in Social Science disciplines to think in an interdisciplinary way, by drawing on theories and approaches, as well as tool kits developed in the core disciplines of Economics and Political Science, and beyond. Students in this program develop theoretical and applied reasoning skills in policy analysis, as well as a solid grounding in quantitative methods and research.
The Undergraduate Major program in Public Policy is offered jointly by the School of Public Policy and Governance, the Department of Economics, and the Department of Political Science at the University of Toronto. Students may enroll after their first or second year of undergraduate studies and must meet the prerequisite conditions for all second-year and higher courses.
This is an Arts program, 7.5 FCEs
This is a limited enrolment program that accommodates a limited number of students. Admission will be determined by a student’s average marks in the required first year courses. Achieving the minimum required marks does not necessarily guarantee admission to the program in any given year.
To be eligible for enrolment in the Undergraduate Major in Public Policy, students must have completed the following first year courses:
1. POL101Y1 (67%)
• OR TrinityOne Public Policy courses TRN160Y and/or TRN161Y (75%) / VicOne policy streams (75% in 1.0 FCE)
* Students entering through TrinityOne/VicOne streams will be ineligible to take upper year POL courses until they have completed POL214Y
2. Either ECO100Y1 (with a final mark of at least 67%) or ECO105Y1 (with a final mark of at least 80%), AND
3. Optional MAT133Y1 or equivalent (65%)
* MAT133Y or equivalent (65%) is required for those students studying ECO206Y, ECO208Y, ECO210Y, ECO227Y in their upper years
* MAT133Y or equivalent (no minimum grade) is required for those students studying ECO200Y, ECO202Y, ECO204Y, ECO209Y, ECO220Y in their upper years
* MAT133Y or equivalent (65%) is not required for those students studying PPG200H1
NB: PPG200H does not serve as PREREQUISITE for upper year ECO courses (** ECO200+ is required for those who plan to take ECO courses at the 300+level.)
2. ECO220Y1/POL222H1 & POL232H1/SOC202H1/STA220H1/STA221H1/STA248H1/STA255H/STA261H1
Third and Fourth Years:
3. Remaining FCEs to reach the 7.5 requirement will be drawn from 300+-level Economics, Political Science, Sociology or related disciplines.
Students may enroll in the PPG Undergraduate Major after their first- or second-year of study. Achieving the minimum grades outlined does not necessarily guarantee admission to the program in any given year.Click here for Admission Requirements for the 2016-2017 Undergraduate Major in Public Policy